Sunday, April 5, 2009


The boy's belts started breaking so I wanted to get them some similar to what I had as a kid. I think mine were rainbow pattern or something. The problem is I didn't ever see them in Wally World and I don't go shopping very often in other places so . . .
in the Sewing dept of Wally World I picked up some Nylon strap by the yard and some D-rings.
I got 1 yard cut for each belt - about 84 cents. Then a package of D-rings was 88 cents for enough to make 2 belts.
I sewed them and melted the other end with a flame to keep it from fraying and Wha-la . . . inexpensive belts in a variety of colors.

If I were to do it again, I think I would go to a craft store with a bigger variety of nylon strap. These work just fine, but I might choose a heavier, thicker strap if I had a choice.

P.S. "Wally World" is my affectionate name for Walmart.

7 comments:

  1. Such the clever one!! Way to go Martha!!! They look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, what is Wally World?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had those Rainbow Brite belts as a girl too! Or maybe they came from a cereal box? Anyway...great solution! My girls have to wear belts as part of their uniform. The braided ones from Wal-Mart don't last long, so I've started finding nicer ones at DI, though I usually have to add holes with my scrapbook tools. I am excited to try your method, which will be cheaper and won't ruin my scrapbook stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed! I've definitely going to try them. I have the hardest time finding belts that are small enough for my boys. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah so bright young warrior. Love the cheapness and practicality - being a frugal mom myself. I shall try it. My sons skinny little bum slips out of just about every pair of pants he owns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, did you get "Wally World" from Alaska? We love to use that affectionate name.

    ReplyDelete

Followers